Hi, everyone! Ok, so in reality, this is a Vegan Mac&Cheese but I don’t feel right in calling it that because I mean.. It’s not really. It tastes delicious though and it has a great ‘cheesy’ flavour so if you feeling like CARBS do this instead of the real mac&cheese and I can guarantee you, it will satisfy you. I got this recipe from Niomi Smart ‘Eat Smart’ book.
What do you need? (For two)
– 200g Brown Pasta, White Pasta, Any pasta! But make it Macaroni
– 10 Cherry Tomatoes
– 1 TSP Olive Oil
– Dried Thyme
– Salt & Pepper
Now the sauce:
– 1/4 Small Butternut squash (250g more or less) peeled and chopped
– 1/2 small onion diced
– 1/2 TSP Coconut Oil
– 1 Garlic clove diced
– 40g unsalted raw cashew nuts soaked overnight
– 125ml coconut milk or almond milk
– 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
– 1/2 TSP wholegrain mustard
– A pinch of nutmeg
– Juice of 1/2 lemon
How to make it?
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
2. Steam butternut until soft.
3. Place the tomatoes on a tray lined with tin foil. Drizzle with the olive oil, thyme and salt and pepper. Let it roast for 10-15 minutes.
4. Cook the pasta as instructed on the package. Rinse with cold water, and set aside.
5. Place a frying pan over medium heat and fry the onion with the garlic and coconut oil.
6. Drain the soak cashews and add it to your nutribullet or any other high-speed blender, with the butternut, onion, garlic and the remaining ingredients for the cheesy sauce. Blend it all until smooth.
7. Stir into the cooked pasta and heat on low heat for about 5 minutes to warm up. Serve it in bowls with the roasted tomatoes on top.
(Recipe from Eat Smart, Niomi.)